Servings Prep Time Cook Time
6-8 25 minutes 35 minutes
Equipment: 25cm ovenproof non-stick pan; Charlie Oven stabilised to
Ready made puff pastry
125g unsalted butter
125g caster sugar
4 Bramley apples
- 1tsp vanilla bean paste
1. Cut a 25cm diameter disc of the ready made puff pastry - use the ovenproof pan as a template. No need to roll the pastry, use at the thickness it comes from the packet. Cover and keep cool in the fridge.
2. Press the butter evenly over the base of your ovenproof pan.
3. Sprinkle approximately 100g of the caster sugar over the butter.
4. Core, peel and quarter the Bramley apples. Arrange the apple quarters onto the sugar and butter with the cut sides facing upwards. This will give your finished pie a professional appearance. Sprinkle the remaining sugar and spread the vanilla bean paste over the apples.
5. Place your pan on a low shelf above the coals of your Charlie Oven - temperature 200°C. Close the door of your Charlie Oven and leave for ten minutes to allow the butter, sugar and apple juices to caramelise.
6. Remove the pan from the oven and allow to cool for five minutes then place the puff pastry disc over the apples and try to tuck under the apples a little.
7. Place a few slits in the pastry to allow steam to escape. Place the pan back in the Charlie Oven but on an upper level shelf this time for a more indirect, oven heat. Close the oven door and leave to bake for twenty minutes.
8. Remove your pie from the oven and allow to cool for fifteen minutes.
9. Turn it out onto a serving plate - place the plate over the pan and invert. A little encouragement may be required with a spatula or pallet knife but take care not to spoil your beautiful dessert
9. Enjoy with vanilla ice cream, cream or both!