- 500g White bread flour
- 9g salt
- 300ml water
- 7g fast acting yeast (sachet)
- Mix the yeast in with the water
- Place the flour and salt in a bowl and then add the water mixture. Knead for 10 minutes by hand or 5 minutes using a mixer with a dough attachment/setting
- Place the dough in a oiled bowl, cover and leaver to rise for 30 minutes.
- Knock the dough back by folding it gently and shaping it into a log shape. Leave to rise again for 20 minutes.
- Place the dough on a baking sheet. Score the bread with a shape knife a couple of times.
- Place the bread into a hot oven on the middle shelf. Place a container of water in the oven to create extra steam. The steam helps the bread to rise.
- Bake for 20 minutes with the door closed. Then transfer to cool down on a rack for 20 minutes.
Make different variations by adding seeds or nuts.
Mix the flours by replacing 250g of strong white flour with strong wholemeal flour.
Use the same dough base for pizza dough (just add 20g of olive oil in the mix)