These burgers are utterly delicious whether you are vegetarian or not! The smoky flavour from the charcoal combined with the sweet beetroot, salty halloumi and heat from the sweet chilli sauce. Perfect!
Beetroot & Chickpea Burgers Topped with Halloumi & Sweet Chilli Sauce
- 100 g bread, torn in pieces
- 240 g tinned chickpeas
- 250 g cooked beetroot, halved
- 1 garlic clove grated
- 20 g coriander (leaves only)
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- A pinch of ground black pepper
- 1 egg
- Sweet chilli sauce
- Halloumi cheese slices
- 6 brioche buns
For The Patties
Toppings & Bun
Place all the patty ingredients into a blender and pulse 3 to 4 times until you have a rough mix.
- Form into 6 equal patties. Shape and refrigerate for at least one hour.
Place directly on to the plancha or in a skillet placed on the cooking racks in the Charlie Oven (at 220°C) and cook for 3 minutes each side. (Be careful, don't be tempted to move the patties too soon as they may fall apart. You need the crust to form in order to move them.).
- Top the patties with slices of halloumi cheese while still in the oven and allow to melt (allow one minute).
- At the same time, slice the brioche buns and heat through on a high cooking rack.
- Assemble and top with sweet chilli sauce or chilli jam (whatever you have at hand).
Ingredients vary and may make the mix wet. If so, heat a heat proof pan in the Charlie Oven and place the patties on the pan with a little oil. This is a safer way of cooking your patties.
Make the recipe vegan by removing the egg. Use the a little water drained from the chickpeas as a replacement.